Nebraska currently college football’s most expensive ticket
TiqIQ is the largest aggregator of event tickets online and whose mission is to make buying event tickets more transparent, efficient, and simpler in the secondary ticket market. TiqIQ is an interesting platform as they “provide the buyer with real-time information on the latest price trends, and access to the best deals from all sellers–for any event.”
College football is in full swing and now appropriate to analyze ticket prices across the country. Each week, TiqIQ analyzes price trends of college football tickets in comparison to their Associated Press rank. Here are some interesting insights that we found for Week 3:
- Nebraska remains to be college football’s most expensive ticket at $236 (average) up 9% over last week. Although we know the Nebraskans love their Huskers, for a team that barely cracks the Top 25 of the AP poll (they are #25 in latest rankings), it could be said that this might be a little steep. But hey just goes to show you how passionate these fans are about their football.
- Fellow Big Ten member Iowa ranks in as the most expensive ticket for an unranked team at $214. They are the number #3 on the list of most expensive tickets beating out powerhouses like Alabama ($177, #8 on list), LSU ($186, #6 on list) and Oregon ($153, #16 on list). Crazy to think that Iowa fans will pay that much to see a losing team (did you see the Iowa State game last week?).
- Speaking of Oregon, they are the squad that you get the most bang for buck as they have the best prices in relation to their AP rank. Oregon has been battling with keeping their sell-out streak alive and I’m sure the new flashy uniforms doesn’t hurt their cause either.
Breakdown by conference:
- Big Ten is the most expensive conference out of the teams making the TiqIQ top 25 averaging $190.50 per ticket. They have 6 teams out of the conference’s 11 on the list, despite the fact that only 3 teams are ranked (highest rank at #16) in the AP poll.
- The SEC comes in as the 2nd most expensive conference at $160.29 per ticket. The traditional football hotbed has 7 teams in the TiqIQ chart and has the highest ranked teams in the AP poll.
- The Big 12 is a close 3rd averaging $158.20 per ticket with 5 teams.
- The Pac-12 follows as the 4th most expensive at $146.50 with 4 teams in the mix.
Takeaway: While the SEC has the “best” football talent and teams, the Big Ten shows how passionate their fan base is as their tickets are in the highest demand in the secondary market. Football continues to reign in America’s heartland